- Eat a regular diet the day before the test.
- Drink 1 glass of water before retiring the night before the test and drink one glass of water the morning of the test. DO NOT EAT THE MORNING OF THE TEST. YOU MUST BE FASTING FOR 10 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT TIME.
- No smoking 1-hour prior to or during the test.
- Plan on being in our office for the duration of the test, just over 3 hours.
- Do not bring children with you for the test.
- Bring a snack with you to eat as soon as test is completed prior to leaving the clinic (snack should include at least 15 g of carbohydrate. Examples include: ½ cup fruit juice, ½ can of regular soda, 2 T raisins, or 1 small piece of fruit). This will help to bring blood sugar back to normal.
- Bring a book or something to occupy your time (if you desire) for this lengthy test. We do have WiFi available to our patients.
- Please call our office one business day after the test if you have not already been informed of the results.
Three Hour Glucose Instructions