Today is #WorldMentalHealthDay and while you may think that it does or does not apply to you, today is for everyone! Today is a day for global mental health education, awareness, and advocacy against social stigma. There is a time in everyone’s life when things are not perfect, the grass seems greener on the other side and you feel like everything just plain sucks! Take a moment to step back and think about your self-care plan especially regarding mental health.
Educate Yourself – Health isn’t just about what you’re eating. It’s also about what you’re thinking and saying, living and loving.
- Postpartum depression & anxiety impacts 1 in 7 mothers
- The positive impact of self-care
- Overcoming the stigma of mental illness by Mayo Clinic
Do Something Good – doing something good for yourself or someone else gives you a sense of value.
Take Steps to Help Yourself or Loved One Dealing with Mental Illness
- Don’t isolate yourself, reach out to someone that you trust.
- Get treatment – you are not alone and there are professionals to help.
- Join a support group.
- Speak out about your story and end the stigma.
Remember that you are not alone and it is never too late to start something new. Taking care of yourself is the first step in ensuring that you are taking care of your #1 – YOU!