The natural drop in estrogen that happens during perimenopause and menopause often triggers a response from the hypothalamus section of the brain; the place that regulates body temperature. That response is a hot flash. If heating up is taking a toll on you, your physician may prescribe estrogen or progesterone therapy, but here are some others things you can do to cool that fire within:
5 Tips for Combatting Hot Flashes
- Wear cotton and other breathable fabrics that allow airflow and avoid thicker material, like wool.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol because they increase body heat
- Eat soy-based foods because soy is filled with natural estrogen
- Use a cooling towel – a synthetic, evaporative cooling aid that is significantly colder than a typical towel (these can be found at Target, Walmart, Bed Bath and Beyond and other stores).
- Take a cool shower to restore your body to a natural temperature