Your baby is finally on the way and it’s time to get to the hospital. Did you pack your overnight bag? Here are some helpful hints on packing your bag for the hospital stay and bringing home baby. We recommend packing a bag about two weeks before your due date.
- Any toiletries that make you feel comfortable, i.e. shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face cream, hair brush, hair ties, comb, toothpaste, toothbrush, and lip balm (most hospitals supply shampoo, conditioner and body wash so if you are not particular save the room and leave it at home).
- Slippers, flip flops or comfortable socks
- Nursing Bra or Tank
- Pajamas or lounge wear
- Going home outfit (keep in mind that you will probably look like you are 5 months pregnant)
- Snacks for you and your partner!
- Cash for the cafeteria and vending.
- Hard candies to help with dryness.
- Honey sticks for a boost of energy during labor.
- The hospital provides hats, diapers, t-shirt onesies, and receiving blankets
- Bring a going home outfit in a few size options
- Outdoor gear like a hat and blanket, as seasonally appropriate (remember, babies are extra sensitive to cold)
- Remember you can’t take baby home without a car seat!
To make the room more inspiring and comforting, essential oils like lavender or peppermint can be soothing and energizing. No open flames are allowed in the hospital so no candles, but diffusors are ok. If you’re a music lover, make a play list for your labor and birth.
Don’t forget, birth is amazing but also kind of messy, it would be best to forego your expensive silk pillow case!
Written by Nicole Dishong, CNM.